Genius Food: A Brain-Boosting Pancake Recipe!
Shrove Tuesday - the final day before many of us embark on a fasting lent period - has arrived. It has become tradition to indulge on pancakes smothered in honey and nutella - but what if we told you that this year, your treat feast could also be highly nutritious and super healthy for your brain.
This recipe is full of fibre, protein, omega 3's and plenty of brain-boosting ingredients. We've included ground flax seed oil as these omega-3 rich plant foods are more easily digested when they are ground. Blueberries may as well be called 'brainberries' as studies show their ability to boost memory and overall brain function. We've also included a banana to put you well on your way to five-a-day. It's also high in vitamin B6 and can therefore help to improve cognitive function. Finally, our choice of almond milk and coconut oil are two nutritious and delicious alternatives for your pancake base!
Brain Boosting Recipe:
1 1/4 cup – almond milk, unsweetened
1 3/4 cup – oats, dry
1/4 cup – flax seed, ground
1 medium – banana
1 tablespoon – honey
1 teaspoon – vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon – cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon – sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoon – baking powder
2 large – egg
1 tablespoon – coconut oil
1 cup – blueberries
- Place all ingredients, except eggs, coconut oil, bananas, blueberries into a blender. Blend until oats are ground and everything is mixed well.
- Add eggs and pulse until fully blended in.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and melt a teaspoon or two of coconut oil or butter.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto the pan for each pancake. Scatter blueberries and banana onto each pancake before flipping. Brown on both sides (about 2-3 minutes per side) and serve hot with more blueberries and honey. Add a splash of almond milk if pancake becomes to thick
- Feast on your brain food!
Did you know?
The world record for pancake size belongs to Manchester. On August 13 1994, the co-operative union organised the making of what became the world's largest pancake in history, weighing in at 6,614 lbs (about the same weight as two cars) and measuring over 49 feet!
Learn something new everyday.